Tuesday, May 6, 2008

AM vs. PM workouts

When it comes to exercising, I'm not a morning person. Unfortunately, I'm not a mid-day or evening person, either. Most of the time, it seems like a chore no matter what time of day I'm sweating.

I've found myself increasingly busy lately, so it's been difficult to figure out exactly when to do which exercises. In the past, I've preferred to do weights in the morning and cardio at night. Yesterday and today, however, I did my runs in the morning. At the buttcrack of dawn, to be exact. When I set out for my 5 mile run today, the sun was just peeking out from the horizon. I was alone with my thoughts and the sound of my feet pounding on the pavement. It was really nice.

Something I've noticed is I'm not as hungry during the day if I do my cardio in the morning. If I do weights in the morning- oh my god- I can't get enough food.

What have your experiences been with AM vs. PM workouts? I'm curious to get other perspectives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Morgan,

I swim at the gym 3 or 4 times a week - always in the morning. But I've noticed I eat more and I get a little sleepy on the days I don't swim.

desertrunnergirl said...

I run at 4:15 am, and I love the fact that when I'm done (around 5:30) I'm DONE!! I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day, or have it hanging over my head. I also feel yuck if I skip that morning workout - the whole day just feels off.

Love your blog! I'm new to reading it and really hooked. Too funny that you finally got a wicking shirt!! I don't know how people run in cotton - blech!!

Anonymous said...

Girl

You are the bomb. I would love to work out in the a.m. but I wake up at least twice every night and therefore need the extra time in the morning for sleep. I end up doing my workout in the evenings. The only thing about doing it late is that other things could creep in...like an urgent work project that requires staying past 9pm.

You go girl. You are my inspiration.