Sunday, April 13, 2008

Come back, wagon!

I'm lying on the prairie floor, watching the wagon as it lazily rolls into the sunset. It's going slow enough that I could easily run and jump back on, but my legs feel as though they'll give out if I stand up. This grassy, green prairie has become so comfortable that I don't want to move. It's easier to just stay here.

This weekend hasn't been so good, diet wise. Saturdays and Sundays have become quite the problem lately. Falling off the wagon is now commonplace on the weekend- almost habitual. Quite unhealthy. I will say that I've done some good exercise, but that shouldn't be some kind of excuse or invitation to go nuts.

Yesterday when I weighed in, I was totally expecting a gain. When I saw the same number as last week, I'm sure that triggered my urge to overindulge in some way. It started off innocently enough. We went to our favorite salad place for lunch yesterday. I got what they call the "health nut" salad, which has salmon, walnuts, soy nuts, dried cranberries, and fat free vinaigrette. While I'm sure it was not "low-cal" by any means, the fats were all heart-healthy fats. So, I decided to get the world's best cupcake for my weekend treat. That bit of sugary perfection set off some kind of chain reaction that lasted all weekend.

Of course, after eating all that sugar, my blood sugar is now crashing like a stoned hippie onto a well-worn sofa. My eyeballs hurt. I'm depressed and cranky, and freezing cold.

I push myself up from the grass and look for the wagon. It's rolling over a hill on the horizon; it's about to disappear! I start to walk, then jog, then run toward it. I'm now close enough to see the the wagon's contents. It's overflowing with fruit, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. Richard Simmons beckons me from inside. "Hurry, Morgan! Get back on the wagon!" he cries gaily. I jump in, and feel immediately safe and warm as I collapse in a bed of mixed salad greens. Richard covers me with a blanket of freshly-toasted whole grain waffles and wild berries and I fall into a restful sleep.

It's good to be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!! I do the exact same thing. Except so puffy my eyes feel like they are touching the computer screen. A big fat blowfish. I need to stop the insanity on the weekends. But How?

Tracy