Saturday, March 15, 2008

Staying weight-loss-savvy at parties

Our good friend Megan throws a St. Patrick's Day Breakfast every year. This is the first year I was able to attend, and I'm on this "no cheating pledge." I was a little nervous. Megan is the most awesome hostess around, so I knew the food, drink, and company would be amazing. In the past, I've tended to go a little overboard at her functions, just because I wanted to taste everything. I usually have too much to drink, which leads to lowered inhibitions, which leads to overeating. I didn't want that to happen today.

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again. You have to have a plan. My plan for this morning was to do a strenuous workout before the party, so I ran 5 miles on the treadmill. A workout like that really curbs my appetite. I gave myself a 450 calorie allowance.

The last time I saw a lot of these people, I was heavy. One girl came up to me and said "Have we met before?" I just said "Yes, at Megan's Halloween party. I'm Morgan." She looked confused for a second, and then said "Oh! Good to see you again." It was pretty funny.

I'm proud of myself because I made a plan and stuck to it. I was able to indulge in small bites of a few "naughty" foods without completely wrecking my plan. The only alcohol I had was a small Bloody Mary. I figured any drink that includes a celery stalk can't be all bad for you.

The party was a lot of fun. For the first time, however, "fun" didn't include drinking until I was slurring my words, or eating until I was stuffed. WOOT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always amazed when I can have fun at these things without stuffing my face! It's so liberating.