Saturday, March 15, 2008

Randomness in the blogosphere

The weirdest thing happened the other day. I work for a company that provides online content to other companies' web sites. I got an email on Thursday from a client who needed some assistance. When I looked at the bottom of the email and saw the name of the person who wrote it, I was very shocked to see it was from Jennette, aka PastaQueen. Her blog, Half of Me, is one that I look forward to reading every day. She also wrote a book called Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir, scheduled for release this May. The cover of the book inspired me to take that photo of myself standing in one leg of my old fat pants.

As soon as I saw her name, I picked up the phone and called her. I didn't even think twice about it. It might have been prudent to think "Hmmm...she's at her normal job. Perhaps she doesn't want one of her super-fans calling her while she's in Clark Kent mode." But nope, I just called her. She answered and I said "Hi, Jennette, this is Morgan from [company name]. I just got your email. I just had to call when I saw your name, because I read your blog!" She seemed a little stunned. I guess she's never "met" one of her readers in everyday life. After I was done gushing, we actually talked about work-related stuff.

I discovered her blog when my own weight loss was starting to slow down. Around this time, I was getting really discouraged and wondering if I was doing everything right. I can't remember exactly how I came across her site, but it was just what I needed. She chronicles her progress with such humor and eloquence that it's like a book you don't want to put down. I can't wait for her actual book to come out. I will be more than happy to give her my money, because reading her blog has given so much to me. So thanks, PQ. You're a rock star.

1 comment:

Jennette Fulda said...

Aw, thanks. And no prob calling me in Clark Kent mode. I love that analogy.