Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Practice makes perfect

Lately, whenever I do a run, I've been pretending it's Saturday and I'm on the marathon course. Tonight on the treadmill, I was doing an "easy" 4-miler, yet my legs were feeling sluggish and all I wanted to do was get on the couch and watch The Biggest Loser. Instead, I imagined I was at mile 22, with 4 more miles to go. The most I've run during my training is 22 miles. Those last 4 will be uncharted territory. So, I pictured myself running up the hill on Harrison Parkway, the last big hill of the race. There's no doubt I'll be hurting at that point, and I will surely question whether I can endure the last 4 miles to get to the finish line.

Then, I imagine how awful it would feel to give up with only 4 miles to go. So, I keep running. Every minute drags on, much like my toes drag as I take each step, but I keep running. People on the roadside cheer me on, telling me I can do it. I keep running. One foot in front of the other.

After an eternity, the 26 mile marker appears. Only 0.2 miles to go...this, I've been told, should be my "victory lap." It's time to smile, cry, laugh, scream, and be at peace with whatever has transpired. I cross the finish mat, raising my arms triumphantly in the air. It's over.

Are you all sick of hearing about this marathon yet? Don't worry, it will be over soon enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're not sick of it! I can't wait to hear all about it :)

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have that excited sick feeling in the pit of my stomach not unlike the feeling I get before watching the very last episode of a beloved television series.

But I'm thinking there could be a spinoff :)

Anonymous said...

Finishing that marathon will be one of the best things you've ever done! And what will make it so special will be knowing how much you struggled to get through it -- how strong you are!! I'm so excited for you.

desertrunnergirl said...

I have enjoyed reading about your training - not sick of it at all! And I am anxious to read your race report!
If I could offer one bit of advice: during the race, try to stop (well, don't actually stop!) and enjoy the moment...think: this is what you have trained so hard for, and you are doing it! Don't wish it away, even for that finish line moment. Best of luck tomorrow and lots of us will be sending you good wishes!