Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My poor lawn

When I made the decision to train for this marathon, I knew it was a huge commitment. I was aware of the hours it would take out of my week, and that priorities may shift a little.

What I didn't anticipate was how many things would get neglected. For example- I enjoy having a clean household and a mowed lawn. These days, I'm embarrassed to make eye contact with the neighbors for fear of retribution over the jungle that is our front yard. Angie and I rotate the mowing responsibility, and right now it's my turn. I had an opportunity to get it done over the weekend, but I was still hobbling around like a zombie from my 18-miler. So, the grass remains ridiculously tall. The living room carpet remains unvacuumed, the bathroom floor is unmopped, the garage is cluttered...I could go on and on.

Every morning, Angie and I wake up around 6 to sit around, watch the news, and complain about having to go to work. Mostly we just sit on the couch and grunt at each other, until we're properly awake and ready to have a civilized conversation. We discuss the things we'd love to do, vacations we'd like to take, etc. This morning, I was daydreaming about post-marathon autumn, when there will be time and (hopefully) energy on Saturdays for me to rake leaves and clean out the garage. Oh- and sleep beyond 4:30 a.m. That will be most wonderful.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually want to do yard work and clean the house, but that day is here. October 18th can't come soon enough.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I can so empathize. Not about wanting to clean house, etc (I want a clean house, but I don't want to do it!), but about the way running sucks up so much time, leaving chores and so forth by the wayside. I think a long run takes a full day--the first half to plan and execute the run, the second half to lay around "recovering"! I don't plan on giving up running, so I just need to manage to work the other stuff in! :)