Monday, August 18, 2008

Back from the couch

It's been a foggy-headed, snot-filled week. I've been sick with a nasty cold. Six days have passed since my last run...I didn't even go to my group run on Saturday. I felt really guilty about that, but I was feeling so run down that I knew a rest was in order. The prospect of running 4 miles this evening fills me with both relief and dread. Here's the thing- the past few days of sitting on my butt and eating anything I want has been kind of nice. I'm getting way too used to it. Dangerously so.

At the same time, however, I've felt like total crap, and not because of my cold. I've had a headache for almost 48 hours because I'm dehydrated. Water? What's that? Oh yeah, it's that stuff you're supposed to drink instead of diet soda. My body is signaling to me to get back to my routine, so I'm going to start listening.


It makes me wonder how many people's diets have been derailed because of an illness. How many of you have fallen off the wagon because you've gotten sick? How did you bounce back?

5 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Vacations do it for me every time. I rarely get sick so im not sure what it would do but, yes, I can imagine it would derail me too. There are times my wheels just dont sit too firmly on the track to begin with. lOl

Topher said...

I always take off from the running when I'm sick. First off, if I feel like crap I don't see how running is going to help. Second, that's the body's way of saying "oh no you don't". I always enjoy the first run after being sick - it's like you've broken free from the grasp of death itself. Hope you feel better soon. Just about 60 days until KC!

Anonymous said...

I never feel guilty about not running when I'm sick, especially if I don't "feel" like it. (I love running, so I usually feel like it.) That my body's way of telling me I need the rest, and I listen! One or two runs and you'll be right back where you left off.

Anonymous said...

being sick, vacations, hung over, I have every excuse in the book. Can't do it this time around, I am STICKING to my plan! I just realized how easily I can get derailed and it makes me sad. But onward and upward, it's not happening this time!

Anonymous said...

Reading through the archives, trying to lose weight, just starting to train for a 10 mile run, and...stricken with a cold! Had to chime in here and say that I'm not sure if I should run tomorrow or not--I guess I'll listen to my body, and try not to turn this into an excuse to get off track. Enjoying the story, ups and downs and all.