Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Only 8 miles

Before I say anything else, I'd like to apologize for the melodramatic and depressed nature of some of my recent posts. If you couldn't already tell, I've been struggling lately, and sometimes I feel like this blog is the best place to vent and organize my thoughts. However, I want to be an inspiration to those of you who also struggle with weight loss and weight maintenance. Despite my recent bummer posts, losing weight is a wonderful, life-enhancing, and healthy thing you can do for yourself. Please don't let my occasional negativity bring you down or deter you from your goals. I'm so incredibly happy I lost the amount of weight I did; so happy, in fact, that I sometimes freak out and worry it's all going to come back.

Enough about that. Moving on...

When I checked my training schedule for this week, I noticed that I'll be running substantially less than in the weeks before. I guess every 4 weeks, they throw in a "recovery week," in which you back off your mileage to let your body bounce back from all the wear-and-tear. When I was explaining it to someone at work, I actually heard these words come out of my mouth: "I only have to run 8 miles this Saturday." Um, excuse me? Only 8 miles? My inner couch potato wanted to punch my inner athlete for saying something so ludicrous, but then thought the better of it and continued eating cupcakes and watching reruns of The Golden Girls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The freak out is what it is. I think the further you get into maintenance the more that diminishes.

I'd love to be able to run 8 miles. As my mom is fond of telling me-- cut yourself some slack, you are doing great!

Anonymous said...

I love the golden girls!! And no reason for the disclaimer, it's your blog, you can do what you want with it! It's a learning experience for us ALL!! Glad you are doing better!! : )