Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Memory lanes and new possibilities

I took the afternoon off work today so I could go see a career counselor at the local community college I attended many years ago. As I drove by the various buildings I'd once occupied as a student, the memories came flooding back. I finally found a parking space and walked toward the student center. When I walked across the circle drive in front of the building, I realized that very spot had been the starting line of my very first 5K race, which made me smile.

I was 20 minutes early, so I wandered around the campus and reminisced a bit. Oh, there's the microbiology lab room where I spilled a vial of e. Coli all over my hands! And there's the classroom where I tried very hard to understand physics, and failed miserably. I was sitting at that cafeteria table when I learned a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I aced a Western civilization final in that chair.

Lots of memories. It felt good to be there. After a while, I went to the career center and met with a counselor. I wasn't there long- maybe 20 minutes. Upon leaving, I wasn't any more confident about my future than I was before I arrived, but at least now I know where to start. My next project is to research a Master's degree in dietetics and nutrition.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey-- I'm doing the same thing :c) but I am in Boston. I'm several courses into the science pre reqs that I need to apply to a local program. My undergrad was in International Affairs and Russian at CU Boulder. It's going to be a process since I need 13 classes (but some I can take after I get into grad school) so the end result is still 3 years off. I was attempting a summer class but it was too much. Just like weight loss slow and steady will win the race.

I am already enjoying the coursework immensely and after years of floundering-- I know that this is what I want to do. If it means I need to master chemistry then so be it.

Mal said...

I pursued a master's degree in the field of my passion, and I have never regretted it. Sometimes, I regret the student loan payments -- but I would never go back and un-do the master's degree. I'm behind you all the way on this one!

(PS: As I keep thinking about it, the only advice I would give would be to make sure that you are still working through your food "issues" -- bingeing and such. It would be easy for someone like me (though I don't know about you!) to use a master's degree in nutrition to hide behind as I continued to struggle with food. There are lots of passions and professions that become screens for people -- therapists, priests, and cops, anyone? Anyway -- bottom line, I am excited for you and the changes this may mean.)