Thursday, June 5, 2008

Do you know the Donut Man?

One of the blogs I enjoy reading is I'll Run for Donuts, which is written by a funny guy named Topher. In his blog, he talks about two of his passions: running and donuts. Clearly, we are kindred spirits.

Because I've been mentioning it way too much, I'm sure you're all aware I'm about to run the Hospital Hill 10K on Saturday. The packet pickup started today, and I was eager to go pick up my loot. Without telling anyone, I quietly slipped away from my prison...er, cubicle...at 3:45 to drive downtown. Yup, I just left work. Didn't even tell anyone. When I arrived at the designated location, there was a long line. I scanned the crowd to see if there were any familiar faces, but didn't see anyone I knew. There was this one dude who I thought I'd seen before, but I couldn't quite place him. Finally, as I was leaving the building, it dawned on me that it was Topher. Like an idiot, I said the first thing that came to my mind: "Hey, aren't you the donut guy?" He was nice about it, but I think I probably scared him. (Topher, if you're reading this, I'm sorry if I scared you. I promise I'm not a stalker.) Poor guy. I introduced myself and we wished each other luck in the race.

If you'll remember, that's the second time I've experienced randomness in the blogosphere. I wonder who I'll meet next!

Now it's time for me to hop on the treadmill for a quick 3 miler. I'd like to do my run outside, but tornado-spawning storms are expected any time now. This will be my final run before Saturday's race. I'm determined to enjoy this experience, because it's my last race until September. Seriously, these events are addictive. It's an addiction I'm more than happy to have, though.

1 comment:

Topher said...

Dude! My wife and I thought it was so cool that you introduced yourself. Thanks so much for saying hello. I totally remember your story from your blogging, and if we hadn't been trying to keep our three year old from kicking his brothers we'd have talked longer. Your achievement of losing 102 lbs is awesome and inspirational!

Anyway, thanks for the shout-out in your post and best luck on Saturday! Say hi again as you speed by me. Trust me, you will speed by me. I've been a slacker the past couple of weeks (blaming it on a bum heel).