Sunday, March 23, 2008

I'll always love you, cereal

Hi. I'm Morgan, and I'm a cereal addict.

"Hi, Morgan."

Virtually every time I'm in the kitchen, whether it's preparing dinner, washing the dishes, or filling up my water glass, I reach for one of the five
(yes, five) boxes of cereal in the pantry and eat a small handful. Sure, a handful or two of cereal is no big deal, but if I'm doing it every time I walk into the kitchen, I'm in trouble. This probably contributes an extra 100-300 calories to my diet per day, and I haven't been logging it. So, not only am I eating all these extra calories, but I'm basically hiding it. Not good. Not good at all.

The boxes of cereal that currently live in the cupboard are:
Kellogg's All Bran With Yogurt Bites
Kellogg's All Bran With Strawberry Medley
Fiber One Honey Clusters
Honey Nut Cheerios
Cinnabon Crunch

This clearly can't go on. So, my beloved cereal, I must say goodbye. After the remaining cereal is gone, no more of the delicious brands above will be purchased.

Even though eating this much cereal obviously isn't good for me calorically, it does have its benefits in the fiber department. I've noticed some, um...improvements since I started eating high-fiber cereal every day. So, I don't think I should give up the stuff completely. Rather, I should refrain from eating the delicious brands, and pick up some tasteless cardboard-like stuff that will give me the fiber I need without making me want to eat the whole box in one sitting.

I just wanted to confess my cereal addiction to the world and let you all know I'm working on it. Every fall off the wagon I've had the last couple of months all started with my hand dipping into a cereal box, so I think it's time to face the truth. There are some foods, even healthy ones, that I just can't have in the house.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there, Morgan! I love your site. I hope you don't mind I add you to my blog roll, particularly since you have mine listed :) Thanks so much! Glad to have found you. Oh, and I'm a cereal addict, too. BIG time. Lynn (lynnsjourney)

Shena said...

Cereal is delightful, and I love it for many reasons, but I keep eating because of the...improvements that you have also noticed. When I travel and do not eat cereal, things go very bad, very fast. Then Cori tries to get me to try these organic laxatives "They are very gentle!" she says, but cereal is way more rad. I'm pretty sure that this is a boring story. I'm also pretty sure that Cori's going to punch me.