Monday, September 8, 2008

Yay for the ability to walk

Saturday's 20-miler left me with two things:

1) an insatiable craving for ice cream
2) a total inability to walk like a normal person

I must confess that Saturday (and part of Sunday) was a total calorie-fest. Lockdown shmockdown. It was all about sugar and salt. I'm going to say it...just get it out, Morgan...

I consumed an entire half gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream the day of my run.

In my defense, I will say that it was the slow-churned stuff. The entire container was 1200 calories, and I burned roughly 2500 calories during my run. So, I didn't beat myself up too much over it. Really, I was too beat up already to feel any worse.

When going from a seated position to standing, I was reminded of my 97 year old grandmother. Getting out of a chair was a step-by-step process. I actually had to think about where to put my hands, how to gain some momentum, then manage to get upright. Walking was...not pretty. My hips were locked in one position, so when I'd take a step, that entire side of my body would move with me. I walked like Robocop.

I woke up this morning and was pretty much back to normal. I'm running with a friend from work tonight, and hopefully I won't slow her down too much!

3 comments:

SuperDave said...

I've never done a 20 miler. I Couldn't imagine. Ouch! I love mint chocolate chip!

Unknown said...

I know the feeling... except the 20 miler part! I know I was hobbling after my first 12 miler for sure - kudos to you!!!

Ashlee said...

congrats! what an achievement :) I hope to join you soon in the 100 lbs. lost club! I'm getting there... and training for a 10k now!