Friday, July 25, 2008

Crash landing

Thanks for all your questions. I'm excited to answer them all in upcoming posts.

Today, though, I'd like to discuss the past week of intuitive eating. In one of my earlier posts, I equated the concept of eating whatever you want, whenever you want, to jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. Well, I jumped, and my chute most certainly did NOT open. I crash landed in a town called All You Can Eat, U.S.A., and now I'm trying to find my wagon and hitch a ride home.

According to the book, a person needs a lot more than a week to fully understand the concepts and techniques. In this short time, however, I know this method isn't something I'm ready to practice yet. My goal is to think less about food, and with all the freedom that intuitive eating affords, food became the only thing on my mind. Additionally, I allowed myself to eat so much that I missed workouts on two occasions. One of the missed workouts was a 5 mile run.

So, it's back to the old system for me. I'm going eat on a schedule so I won't get hungry in the first place, and limit my choices to a few things for each meal. There will still be a cheat meal (ideally only one) on the weekend, but I'll no longer eat "whatever sounds good" at any given moment. Peanut butter is back at the top of the list of foods that can no longer reside in our house. Those ice cream drumstick things are a close second.

3 comments:

WWSuzi said...

You've got to do whatever's best for you!!

Anonymous said...

I relate to what you are saying. I have had disordered eating issues since I was 11 (I'm now 34). I have tried lots of eating plans, been to therapy, support groups, read countless self-help books--all in an effort to be able to eat "normally." The truth is, disordered eating IS my normal. My biggest concern is my health. And because I want to keep my health, I find that being on a restricted plan is the only way to keep me from gaining 50+ pounds. And being restricted means I will always be thinking about foods that are "dangerous" for me. I too, have had to ban peanut butter from my home (even the natural kind is too dangerous!) I find the fewer choices I have, the less trouble I get into and the less anxiety I have. I stick with the same limited assortment of "healthy" foods because I don't do well without the structure. I'm sure many people would think this is a bad thing. But I have just come to accept that food will always be a problem for me and that I have to control it to maintain my health as best as I can. You don't need to feel bad about it & don't need to apologize. YOU are the one who has to wake up in YOUR skin every day...do whatever you need to in order to make your life work for you.

Anonymous said...

and your gut about it not being for you is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RIGHT if that's what your mind/bod is telling you.

Im oldschool myself for what it's worth.