Friday, April 25, 2008

Motivation Station- Running into old friends

I was walking into a bookstore after work today, and an old friend, who I hadn't seen in about a year and a half, walked right by me. A year ago, I would have let her keep walking. I avoided bumping into friends at all costs. I didn't want them to see what I'd become.

Today, I called out to her and she turned around. The look on her face when she saw me was worth every pound lost, every dessert not consumed, and every mile run on the treadmill. She gave me a huge hug and said "Look at you!" She looked so genuinely happy for me. It was wonderful.

That chance encounter totally put the pep back in my step. I'm sitting here in my workout clothes, actually looking forward to getting on the treadmill. I'm excited for the Trolley Run on Saturday, too, even though it's supposed to be cold and rainy. I'm proud to finally have a body that can DO STUFF!

The number on the scale, although a guide, isn't the reason I'm doing this. I'm doing it so I can do all the things I couldn't before. I can run. I can ride a horse without worrying whether I'm hurting the poor thing. I can compete.

Okay, I'm getting on the treadmill now. Bye!

No comments: