Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Truffle Shuffle

I'm very excited to report I just signed up for a 5K race this Saturday. This is something I know I've been capable of for a few months, but wanted the weather to improve before trying. The race is the 9th Annual Truffle Shuffle, which benefits the Jana E. Pinker Memorial Foundation. As part of the registration fee, I get a long-sleeved t-shirt, and a box of chocolate truffles from Andre's Confiserie Suisse, one of the best places in the country to get your sugar on.

I'm stoked about this. Angie signed up as well, and she's really excited too. I really want a picture of me crossing the finish line, but since Angie's in the race she obviously can't take it. My mom is really sick with an awful cold, so I don't think I'll ask her to do it. I wouldn't dream of asking my friends to drive all the way to the race location on a Saturday morning just to snap a photo. I'd ask my dad, but he would be the first to admit he loathes technology, and my digital SLR camera would be no exception. So, I guess we'll just bring the camera and take photos before we start the race and after we complete it.

In the meantime, I need to think of a goal time for the race. I know I can run at 5 mph for over an hour, but ideally I'd like to increase my speed. My next few sessions on the treadmill will be spent building up to 10 minute miles. Last night I did intervals of 2 minute runs at 6 mph, followed by 90 second walks at 4 mph. I did this for 45 minutes. Tonight I'll try to increase the running intervals while decreasing the walks.

It's strange to think about where I was physically at this time last year. I was almost 100 pounds heavier, and I couldn't run if my life depended on it. Now I'm going to run in a race. Unbelievable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agh! Sorry Morgan, I definitely would have helped you out if I'd been in town. We're heading up to Omaha for my mom's retirement party. And I can't help you next time, because I'll definitely be in the race myself!